The pink sauce is a zesty combination of rich bechamel and tangy marinara. The result is simply fabulous!
Note: Vegetables give off a lot of water when they cook. Try to remove as much moisture as possible before assembling and ensure your pink sauce is thick.
Serves 4-6 people
For the Bechamel:
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Lasagna:
1 cup marinara sauce
2 large zucchini, sliced thin
1 large yellow squash, sliced thin
1 yellow onion, small dice
2 carrots, small dice
3 cups baby spinach
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
1 lbs lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
- Make the bechamel sauce by melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle in the flour and combine with a whisk. Once a paste forms, slowly add the milk by whisking in half a cup at a time. A nice, thick, creamy sauce will form. Once all the milk is used, add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large saute pan, add two tablespoons of olive oil and saute all the vegetables (except the spinach) over medium heat, approximately 4-5 minutes until tender. You may need to work in batches. Place the cooked vegetables in a strainer and press gently (do not mush) but allow moisture to drain. Saute the spinach last, and when cooled enough, use your hands to wring out the excess moisture. Add to cooked vegetables and mix well.
- To the cooled Bechamel, add the marinara. Whisk well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the beaten egg to the ricotta and set aside. Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Spray a large lasagna dish with vegetable spray. Pour a 1/2 cup of the pink sauce on the bottom of the dish and spread into one even layer. Top with a layer of noodles, then add a layer of vegetables. Top with noodles, a layer of ricotta cheese and a layer of sauce. Repeat this pattern until you reach the top. The final layer should be a layer of sauce and all the grated cheese. Place lasagna dish on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, until top layer of cheese is browned and golden. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve immediately, or wait for the next day, when it’s even better!